About Me

My photo
I am a man about the business of taking care of business, minding my own business and staying out of yours. I don't care what devices people use to separate themselves from others (religion, money, race, gender, class, intelligence etc.) at the end of the day you came from the earth and so shall you return. The only advice I have is try to live and love without fear.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The African Mind

Where are the gospels of Marcus Garvey, MLK, Malcolm X, Huey P. or Eldridge Cleaver? How do we understand the world without the understanding of who these people were?  Why do you only hear the stories of their struggles, but don't utilize their understanding and wisdom to create new environmental change for the people of color? I remember my first time I experienced racism at an early age I didn't quite understand it, I felt a sense of not belonging and feeling uncomfortable with the person I was. Many years has gone by since that initial feeling and now I have a greater sense of self due to me learning who I am. It is through the literature of the greats that has overtime given a sense of pride and accomplishment to a people who otherwise are deemed lost with no real identity. With this sense of pride and courage I'm able to now reach back to the youth helping cultivate the knowledge to those who should know who we are and where we come from. The struggle is not over it has intensified and is now beening masked behind color-blindness. We must continue to ignite that ever burning flame our ancestors before felt during their various forms of captivity. If we never forget the voice of freedom it shall always and forever ring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment