About Me

My photo
I am a man about the business of taking care of business, minding my own business and staying out of yours. I don't care what devices people use to separate themselves from others (religion, money, race, gender, class, intelligence etc.) at the end of the day you came from the earth and so shall you return. The only advice I have is try to live and love without fear.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Children: How should we raise them??

A child should be raised to have basic values, a moral character and a genuine personality. One who tries to instill those things in a child early on will have the least amount of road to travel when it comes to adapting him/her in the social structure of the world.

How can you develop a child that has the moral fibers needed to control the pressure of sex, guns and chasing the almighty dollar? Is religion the right answer? Is trying to befriend your child and take the chance that they might not grow up respecting the role of a parent vs child a better way? What type of fear should a child have for their parent? I can say going from a child to having my own that there are many ways that can be effective but you have to be an example they can learn from.
"What I most remember was an abiding sense of comfort and security. I got plenty of mothering, not only from Pop and my brothers and sisters when they were home, but from the whole of our close-knit community." Singer and Actor Paul Robeson
I can remember the different styles of discipline each one of my parents used which I felt in a way created the balance and core structure of who I am today. I also feel that it takes a community to raise a child coupled with tough love. People who respect tough love will tell you how they learned a valuable lesson from it and how being reprimanded as a child helped them in their adult life. Raising children is not cut & dry and will always require a combination of different styles and methods but our parents and the generations before them had the right idea on how we should raise children. The further we deviate from the 'old school' way of child rearing, the worse off our children will become.

2 comments:

  1. Great Point! Whippings became a weapon for the white supremacists power structure to continue the distruction of the black child, because at one time we were born with the morals and values we needed and they were enforced by our parents. If the Creator/Creatress didn't want us to have parents, we could have came out the womb and 18 days later, became teenagers. But it wasn't like that for a reason. We needed the time to develop in all the 9 areas of ppl skills needed to survive, as quoted by Dr. Francis Cress Welsing. Therefore, Children should be raised by parents that regard the laws of Maat in everyday life and those that exemplify through right deeds and actions. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @PhuCha thanks so much for your comment and you opinion on this issue. Peace and Blessings

    ReplyDelete